Thursday, February 12, 2015

Notan



The word Notan comes from the Japanese language and means “dark, light.” This type of art is a combination of light and dark that work together to make a beautiful work of art. This is usually used with black and white and implies beauty and harmony. It gets at the essential spirit of a composition, its pattern and design, through a strict black-and-white, dark-light arrangement.
All you need is a white square sheet of paper, a black square sheet of paper half the size of the white one, a colored pencil, scissors, and glue. So intricate and beautiful!

This is the one that I made. When I first started this projects I drew my details of the Notan and I was ready to cut. I learned very quickly that scissors are not the best cutting tool for this project luckly I had a small razor blade that I could use to help me make clean cut lines for the project. If I were to do this project again I would try to make more details in my Notan because the details are what makes this kind of art so unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment